[Dailydrool] Earl on Craigslist

Kerrie.Kerns kerrie at pminet.com
Tue Dec 29 11:00:57 PST 2009

On Christmas Day I took off with a truck front seat load of pies to
take to my family Christmas Dinner in the country. Halfway there I
noticed people going around something running down the middle of the
road. Steele my heart and grab a leash I say. It is a giant pedigreed
Bloodhound happily loping along. I get pulled over and start calling
him and slinging pies out of the front seat. Some got tossed onto the
car, others into the back bed. I was in my farm truck. An impatient
asshole cut between me and the dog and clipped him with his bumper, I
went running and screaming. The dog was okay and the guy took off. I
loaded 130 pounds of drooling/foaming hound into the front with me
and looked for ID. A Christmas collar but no tags. Augh!! Christmas
Day, vets office closed for a microchip scan. I go back in the
direction he came and slowly drive around a subdivision hoping
someone spots us. We get stares but no one will speak to me until
someone points out I have things on top of the cab-pies. I had to be
a sight straight from the Beverly Hillbillies, me in a barn coat, 30
year old truck, a bloodhound, and pies across the cab top. I make
phone calls to dog rescue people I know and no one is taking calls
that day. So I head back home to put him in the back yard. I get my
short stumpy hounds into the house and bring the big hound into the
back yard, watering and putting him food out. Phone starts ringing
but it is family wanting to know where I am with the food. It is late
getting late so I leave bloodhound in the backyard and go to family
dinner, knowing the next day will be trying to find his owners. I
come back home and he is gone! I jump in the truck and drive around
sick to my stomach because I have taken him further away from his
location and then lost him. He is nowhere to be found and I pray
someone has him safe. My pet-sitter friend calls and said a lost
bloodhound is listed on Craigslist, I look and it is him!! His owners
and children are devastated it says, and I have to call and say "I
saved and then lost your dog." His owner calls me immediately and I
try to blubber out that I lost him. She is trying to calm me and say
he is safe and her husband is on his way to go pick him up. Luckily a
veterinarian saw him only a block from my house, picked him up and
took him to her practice and secured him in a kennel. She says his
name is Earl and was a wedding gift to her from her husband and they
had just moved into town, which explains why Earl had no idea
vehicles could hurt him. During their Christmas party someone left
the gate open and he went for a tour. Earl is now microchipped,
collared/tagged and at home with his children.

Kerrie  ~I had a date for Christmas afterall...

HoneyBelle ~What a good looking hunk of hound-look at my fluffy butt.

Ruby  ~I can take him!