[Dailydrool] Purdue vet, anyone NOT happy?

Susan Stoker sue117 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 29 11:33:19 PST 2009

Is anyone else NOT happy with the service they have gotten at the
Purdue Vet Clinic? I know they are supposed to be one of the best
teaching hospitals around, and since we LIVE here I was excited that
we'd have their services available if we needed it!

Well when Rosie got cancer we made the decision to take her to Purdue.
>From the first visit we felt like they did not have Rosie's best
interests at heart. They tried to talk me into their "cancer study"
they were doing. When I didn't want to do it (because it meant extra
procedures for Rosie and more money for me) they still tried to
convince me. Then even after I left the "doctor" called me and still
begged me. Finally I relented.

Today, 2.5 months later was only the second time I had seen the
"doctor" (and it was because there was a problem). We have had a
different vet "student" every time we have gone (to check us in and
check us out). When I had a question about her diet (because she was
losing weight) they didn't listen to me when I tried to tell them I
didn't want her to have any carbs and I was making some of her
food...they just told me to feed her puppy food and threw some free
samples of prescription food at me (again, not vet, just the vet
student).

Then I sat there one day for 30 min waiting for them to bring her out, they said "Oh we forgot".

Then one day when I was waiting to pick up Rosie a woman came in with a
puppy that her dog had just given birth to in the car on the way to the
vet (a Yorkie). She had surgical gloves on and she only needed a
sterile pair of scissors to cut the cord from the puppy because her's
fell on the floor of the car (she obviously knew what she was doing).
She stood there for TWENTY minutes waiting for a doctor or someone to
bring her some scissors! She kept saying, "he's trying to suck now" and
"he's shivering now" and "my dog might be having her other puppy in the
car right now!" and still she stood there waiting.

My last straw was today...they gave Rosie the WRONG CHEMO DRUGS!!!!

She is on a schedule where they are supposed to rotate which drug she
gets each week and they gave her the wrong drug this week! The "doctor"
tried to blow me off and say that it was still in her treatment
plan....when I argued that I would have to pay for an extra week of
chemo she STILL disagreed with me. IT wasn't until I finally complained
more that she went to talk to the "senior" vet and came back all
apologetic.

Luckily the drug they gave her was still one of the 3 drugs that they
are rotating with her, but what if it wasn't? Why weren't they paying
more attention to her chart?

I am going to get a hold of my local vet and see if he will take over
her treatment. I don't care if I agreed to have Rosie in their study or
not. If they can't bother to make sure that she gets the best care ever
while she is there, then I don't want her there!

Man am I pissed and frustrated all at the same time!

At least my local vet knows who I am and knows who Rosie is (and they
recommended that we use Chinese herbs on her food (which we are) and
they have acupuncture services there as well)

Susan and the Tank Hounds