[Dailydrool] Heartworm Treatment - "Fast Kill vs Slow Kill"

Rosemary Glennie rglennie at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 29 14:43:15 PST 2009

In my opinion, and I am not a doctor, unless a dog is very old or very
compromised by the length of time he has had heartworms (heart/lung issues),
I would do the "fast kill".  The treatment can be done two ways.  Day 1 -
initial injection of Immiticide (dosage according to weight).  Day 2 -
another injection of Immiticide.  Hound must stay at vets a couple days.
Then crate rest, no running, potty breaks on leash, for 4 weeks.  After four
weeks, hound will get an oral dose of Ivermectin.  DONE!   Few weeks or few
months later (depending on vet), heartworm test done to make sure all worms
are gone.  If not, another dose of Ivermectin.  Second way to treat - Day 1
- initial injection of Immiticide.  Wait 4 weeks then another injection of
Immicide. Hound still must stay quiet for duration.  Four weeks later - oral
Ivermectin.  This is the newest approach and safer than the first one
listed.

"Slow Kill"  - Heartgard is given. That kills the microfilia (babies).  It
does nothing to kill the adult heartworms.  So, as long as they live, they
continue to do damage to the heart.  Some dogs will test negative for
heartworms after a year or so, and some dogs never test negative.

35-40% of all hounds we take in are heartworm positive.  In 15 years (and
2,400 dogs), we have only done the "slow kill" on two hounds because of
their condition/age.

Rosemary Glennie
BHRG