[Dailydrool] Purdue Vet Clinic and research

Joey Williams joeyjohn1957 at cox.net
Wed Dec 30 07:53:29 PST 2009

I very much appreciate your comments, Jennifer.  Dr. Jonas Salk was and is a hero of mine; the same for Madame Curie.  I could go on.  WE have to be our own health care advocate, as well as be the advocate for our beloved animals.  We must be ever vigilant.  We are the first and last line of defense for our animals.

All clinical trials whether for animals or people are covered under FDA
guidelines.  Failure to follow these guidelines can land the investigator in big
trouble and even cause the sponsoring company's new drug application to fail.

Since Rosie was involved in a research trial, you should have had to sign some
sort of consent.  You should have also received a copy of that form.  There
should be number on the form for you to call with questions, usually the
investigator conducting the research.  I urge you to call that number.  If you
don't have this form, contact the FDA directly.  They have a whole section for
veterinary medicine.  You need to report that the investigator is not providing
the proper oversight and that the protocol is not being followed, ie- Rosie got
the wrong chemo agent.

As for clinical research, I leave you all with a few thoughts about it.  Clinical
research is how Banting and Best discovered how insulin worked and saved
diabetics from certain death.  Clinical research is how John Salk discovered the
polio vaccine.  Clinical research has saved millions of lives.  Before you bash
it, consider every medical device, procedure or medicine you or a loved one may
have used or use.  Imagine if it was not available.  That is why clinical
research is important.

Jennifer
~~~~~~~
Abby and Eli (Lucy and Eyson ATB)
Arooo Y'all
~~~~~~~~
"I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and
I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so
much in loving a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it
be if they were to live double that time?�   Sir Walter Scott