[Dailydrool] Hi...

Sandy smile529 at charter.net
Fri Feb 20 21:27:03 PST 2009

Hello, Daily Drool Friends.

I haven't posted in quite some time and have read the messages . loving
having someone who gets how truly special this breed of dog is.

It is so hard to find words for and I write so it shouldn't be.

I haven't wanted to post this or write it out much at all because the pain
is so deep over it but it dawned on me today that I need to tell you.

Our bassets. Fred & Mocha were killed at the top of our drive way a week
ago. I have cried . a lot.

I wrote to the list for help when we first got them and bought the
recommended books. followed all the advice. and ended up falling madly in
love with these dogs. My husband and I have fallen more and more in love
with them every new day, week, month. and so on.

We tried keeping them inside but our daughter was having intense allergic
reactions to them and we couldn't keep them out of the kitchen. and it
wasn't safe because they kept eating things we were afraid would harm them.
We put them outside but wanted them to have as much space to run as possible
so we bought the wireless system someone on this list suggested and they did
beautifully on these.

We were replacing their collars anyway but one of the collars finally had it
and we decided to replace the whole system and we would have two boxes and
they would have twice the roaming area. We went online with the company and
talked to them on the phone to make sure the collars would work on the older
systems and got all the basics. We put them in a pen at night and let them
out when we were right out there but ONE NIGHT it was supposed to be really
cold and my husband was worried about them so he let them out to go to their
favorite warm place right under the house. We have created little areas for
them, bought new blankets during the colder seasons and that kind of thing
so he wanted them to have access to those.

Fred had never left the yard and Mocha had always stayed close by it when
her collar batteries would get low so he thought they 'd stay right under
the house and he'd put them in the pen in the morning. This was only
supposed to last until the new system got ordered and delivered . within
DAYS.

We were just waiting for the last part of the money.

My dear friend called to tell me someone thought one of the dogs was on the
side of the road and I started crying when I told my husband. He rushed up
there and was up for too long . I knew it was true. When he walked in. I
asked: "Which one was it?" because I had been wondering WHAT would happen to
the other . they had never been separated and wouldn't leave each other's
side for more than a few minutes at a time. He said: "Both of them" and
walked away with tears in his eyes.

It has been so hard to explain. this is the first time I've written it out
but I kept getting my Daily Drool digests and haven't been reading them. I
just had to finally write here because  I knew. you will understand.

Thanks for making it through this . book.

Love,
Sandy