[Dailydrool] Fetch

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 05:44:36 PST 2009

On the topic of balls and fetch, Barney will chase a ball the first time it is rolled, growl and mouth it a bit, then he's done. The rest just give me dirty looks..."If you want it , go get it, and give me a treat to compensate for the abandonment while you are gone." Maya the Great Dane kills tennis balls - chews them into little pieces - so any balls we had are long gone anyway. Actually between Zuma and Maya, most of the toys have been killed and destuffed over time. Poor Sage the Bloodhound got a little stuffy lamb when she arrived. It has been desqueaked and destuffed (Sage did help once it was started) but she still carries the sad little carcass around. She actually likes to PLAY with toys, not just killl them, so I need to get a few for her to play with and be alert enough to pick them up to save before the slaughter.

Bixby (ATB), my first Basset, lived here with Hannah the old St. Bernard. She didn't play much, but he was very good at amusing himself with toys-tossing squeaking, running. Zuma plays more by himself too, and will squeak and squeak, then kill. The rest don't play with toys much and prefer playing with the other dogs. Pearl and Kahuna run the Basset 500 (she is always in the lead), Kahuna, Maya and Ace wrestle with Ace on the ground r going "roar, roar, moo, boof" (he hates to work too hard) and the others pile on top and roll around playing alligator mouth. Sage is learning to join in. Barney and Zuma cheer from the sidelines It gets noisy.

Bud doesn't play He sleeps.Or chews on bones. I tried balls and toys that make noise when I first adopted him, but he didn't have any interest. When the weather gets warmer he will sit outside and sniff. And sleep. That's what Bud does.

Drool for everyone - we are hoping the exodus to the Bridge has slowed or stopped. I know I don't want any more of my crew jumping on that bandwagon. Three in 6 months is enough. One is too many....so lots of Basset, Bloodhound and Newfie drool for all who are sick or sad.

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time...
Bud, Barney, Zuna, Kahuna, Pearl
Ace, Maya, Sage