[Dailydrool] Sandy and Linda's "BOXER" ATB

Houndy2 at aol.com Houndy2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 2 13:06:17 PST 2009

Recently on the DD there was a good poem about a Rescue Basset Hound.  A
"latest rescue Basset" and it told of the process of arrival of a  stinky dog with
out much hair and in a sad state of mind to what we all know and  see happen
in our rescues we help with... a good placement but   heartbreak  for us in
their leaving our homes just the same. Tthe Basset s  that was as if made new
and together now with a family who loves them  anew.

That piece reminded me so of the feelings we all have when they go.  Its
good, it is what you WANT for them.

A Little Bit About Boxer
"Boxer" arrived with his Mama two very very old Bassets that had been made
to live in a garage for years. They were kicked through doorways and also
always  on the lookout for a blow or cruel thing about to happen to them. Sandy and
 Linda took BOTH old dogs in. The ex owner had been a police officer..he
said...but I think he washed out and he actually was not a cop but still had the
"badd cop mentality". No it was not that..it was that he was a thug. He
unfortuneately had the "ownership" of those poor old dogs. The two dogs  endured
the horriable life but they were together. Rotten teeth, stinking  bodies,
living like a couple of rats in filthy condition.

BOXER turned into a loved and loving dog...he would run fast when he went
out the doorway and I member the long time it took until he felt truly safe in
his first real home with Sandy and Linda.. He happily was adopted by Sandy and
 Linda but then his Mama could hang onto this sweet life no longer,then lost
his  friend "Beauty Dog" .

We all are so sad for their loss.

I would like to tell you about something I learned from "Boxer" and his
"Mama" and the two wonderful people who gave them such a sweet and loved life. I
wish I could write better to tell you so you would feel it too...the happiness
 to see light lively eyes in once dark and dead eyes. To see the shine on the
 coat the willingness to GO OUTSIDE...and to WALK through a doorway not run
through ready for the kick of a mean meant to hit hard boot.

I learned about "dog pants" and how easy it actually IS to use them. At
first when I was house sitting for Sandy and Linda getting those dang pants on
and off ! Oh dear they are hard to get the hang of if you are not used to
em...but after all I got it in about two days or so...

Use of the wraps really is a great boon. Sandy showed me how to use one
sanitary pad in the doggy wrap...and lol... time progressed I think we used 2
then 3 at a time and gee it really saved the day you know? (saved cleaning up
and it also kept them so clean and happy)

Tumors, lumps, growths on gums, rotten teeth, Clouding eyes and
bloating...and more. They all took it in stride both dogs and guardians.  Breaking hearts.
These people (you too who are on the DD) have such brave hearts  to take in
these animals and hold up rescues besides should be given more than  our love
and Thank Yous. What they get are happy and delighted with life and  true and
loving dog with lights in their eyes for THEM...but the pay off the  endings it
is such sad hearts.

To get in dogs at 10, 11, 12 and bring them to the best health that can be
and then stick with them till the time when they are tired and just can not go
on no matter how they try and hang on. They try and hang on because lie now
is  so good.

Then we pay with our sad hearts and tears. Boxer and Mama Oh I do hope it  is
for true that there is a Rainbow Bridge and all our beauties are there at the
 buffet, able to run again  too and without pain and all. Knowing they are
loved with the "before" all washed away.

Then thing is it takes this TIME of such sadness to get  through.Of their
being gone from us. The transitions are hard even though our  arms may be full of
other huggable smoothly loving hounds. It is so good to have  this DD a
community of us Basset Hound Lovers. Sandy and Linda we are so sad and  wish you
happiness and remembering the joy and good times the goodness and sweet  heart
you brought out in that once curmudgeon of a stinky sorry looking old guy  who
had missed out on a lifetime of life only coming to his Brigading at "Camp
Toast" just at the ending of his long long life.

I do not know if we cry more for what they endure or for what part of us
they take with them and the feeling of loss when they go. Then that all passes
and the sun comes out and we in time hopefully get to see them again sometime
at  a Rescue Basset Fun Day,meet-up at the dog park, or come by to visit.
So it all goes. Good bye sweet Boxer you were such a lucky dog  after all. I
hope Linda and Sandy you will not be so sad in a while and the  happy times
and good Boxer stories will be told. Here is too you Hooray and  the wonderful
life you made for that old dear Basset.
Love and Woofs, Alexa Owned by Hudson and Henry

net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)