[Dailydrool] Separation Anxiety in females

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Thu Feb 5 12:27:25 PST 2009

I have a female basset, Diva,  who has had issues with separation
anxiety since I got her at 3 months old.  She would do a range of things
when she was younger, like tearing holes in the carpet, knocking over
every end table or vase or pretty much anything she could knock over and
destroying whatever was on top of it, chewing the wood off of the
baseboards, etc. If she was in the yard and we left the house, she would
dig and claw until she managed to escape out of the yard, sometimes even
chewing on the wooden fence posts and ripping big pieces out of them.
She just hated to be alone, and hated even more being away from me for
more than a minute or two.  But she doesn't do that anymore, and I know
that the biggest reason is that we got her a sister-pup about a year
ago, little Sophie doo dah.  Now Diva has companionship and a playmate
where before she was alone, afraid and very stressed out.  I'm sure her
age has something to do with it too, she has since received her shipment
of basset brains!  She still clings to me everywhere I go, all the time.
Anytime I move, she moves.  Bathroom...she's there, trying to put her
cold nose up my rump, bedroom...under my blanket right at my feet, on my
lap watching tv, in my office sitting under my chair....you get the
drift.  My kids joke that if you're looking for Diva, just find mom and
look down...there she is!  Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.
I love having my little spotted shadow there with me.

Snooters to all and drool being slung for the sick houndies and those
who have lost ones they love.

Jessica L. Sutton