[Dailydrool] How old is a puppy?

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 5 21:18:18 PST 2009

A few months ago we adopted Ellie, a 26 month old girl from Basset
Hound Rescue of So. California. We knew her age because she was owner
relinquished to a shelter with vet records (then surrendered again
because of family allergies). I figured she was past the puppy stage,
although we did have to put away the bathroom trash with its
irresistible tissues. I was wrong. I'm a knitter, and I was working
on delicate lace baby blanket for my daughter, who is expecting a
baby boy in a few weeks. Because this project was a challenging
project that was going to take some time, and because it was knitted
with a thin yarn, I treated myself to a pair of very sharp rosewood
knitting needles (Lantern Moon), the most expensive pair I'd ever
bought - $22. When not knitting, I kept the project in a knitting bag
on an end table next to the couch. About a month after we got Ellie,
I came home from work, put down my things, and headed for the kitchen
to start dinner. From the kitchen, I could see into the family room,
where we have most of the dog toys and the favorite dog bed. Hmm,
what toy is that. . . I asked myself. I moved closer. It was my
knitting! Ellie got the bag down, pulled out the knitting, and chewed
through the middle of one knitting needle. The middle of the lace
blanket was unraveled. I just stood there and cried. My husband
arrived from work and found me there, standing, crying into my hands.
(For you knitters, the good things are that she didn't chew up the
yarn,and I had a lifeline in the lace so I was able to recover
without starting over.)

They are puppies for a long time.

Sabrina, Ellie, Brendan ATB, Calhoune ATB