[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 44, Issue 12

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 21:08:49 PST 2009

Jessica - I have a couple of suggestions, but they are more about
training your kids, than your dogs.  You probably won't like my ideas!
 LOL

Here's a couple of things to try:
1.  First of all, I'd be really hacked off at my kids.  Honestly, 8
years old, and certainly teenagers, are perfectly capable of
remembering, and doing, what needs to be done with the dogs.  (Hell,
when I was 15, I worked part-time at a burger place on weekends, and
once I rode the bus home with my two younger sisters, I got them
started on their homework, and I cooked dinner - because both my
parents worked, and didn't get home until 6 pm, and they needed me to
take on some responsibility.)  It's just that its' easier for them NOT
to do it.  THAT means - as my dear mother would say - that the
consequences to DISobeying you aren't strong enough.
       So.  Explain to your kids the rules one more time.  Tell them
from now on, everytime there is a pee or poop spot when you/husband
gets home, every child- ALL OF THEM, no matter who did or didn't let
out the dogs or clean up the mess -  will be punished that evening
with no TV or early bedtime or losing their cell phone for two days,
or no activities that weekend.. whatever you decide.  Be sure to make
the "punishment" severe enough that it really gets their attention-
take away from them something that they really really love.
    This takes the burden off of you - to be the nagger, the reminder,
the one who has to hear "Well, she didn't do it!" or "geez, mom, I
can't watch them every minute!" - and puts the responsibility squarely
on the kids, which is where it belongs.  If you make that the
rule,then actually DO IT - without comment or question, every time - I
betcha in about two weeks, you'll see no more accidnets after work.

2. Or, you can give up on your kids ever learning any responsibility,
and just put in a dog door.  You can install it yourself, if you have
a Sawzall (borrow one from a neighbor), and the dog door will only
cost about $75.  Cheap at the price, for the peace of mind it will
bring.

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!