[Dailydrool] I guess everything is relative

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 23:27:50 PST 2009

Bassets come in all sizes. I think I read that the breed standard was something like 40-60 lbs. (could be remembering this wrong). Wikipedia says bassets range in weight from 35 to 75 pounds. I know that some of the Drool hounds are even larger than this. My hounds, Bo and Harley, are on the small side, tipping the scales at 42 and 38 pounds respectively. The other day we were at the dog park, and what should enter but a new basset on the island with his people.  This hound, Buddy, was fully twice the size of my boys in every dimension--80 pounds, twice as long, twice as tall, with a head the size of my two together. Buddy is a handsome hound for sure, not overweight, but seemed to me to be huge. Buddy's people were a mother and young daughter. To them the scene looked different.  The girl's eyes widened and she said to her mother, "Look, mom--miniature basset hounds!"   It's all relative.