[Dailydrool] Knitting & Bassets + Separation Anxiety

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Feb 6 08:57:50 PST 2009

<<I moved closer. It was my knitting! Ellie got the bag down, pulled out the knitting, and chewed through the middle of one knitting needle. The middle of the lace blanket was unraveled. I just stood there and cried.>>

Belvedere loves to get into my knitting. A couple of years ago, I was knitting a sweater for rescue, hoping to have it raffled off. Until Bel chewed a hole in the front of the sweater, that is. I still have the partly finished sweater in a craft bin. I tried fixing the hole, but my "solution" to the problem really wasn't good enough to give to anyone, much less raffle off. Bel seems to love wool--at least, I hope it's only wool and not all the acrylic yarns. But I suspect he may like the smell of me on the yarn and needles.

Many people have suggested getting a second dog to solve separation anxiety. We have three, so how many would you suggest we get--not that we could afford another. Bel and Jane are a bonded pair, but evidently he does not trust that she will keep him safe when I am not around. Having Drew home doesn't work either. Evidently it is me or no one. I can only imagine what he went through before we got him, but I suspect, from one incident, that if he was not abused himself, someone in the house was. We've had him for seven years now, so you would think he would feel secure. In all that time, we've rarely gone on a vacation or left him more than a few hours. We always show up again, always feed him, and always take him out. But some fear sticks with him after all these years. I am just glad that his only sign of trouble is pottying problems, which are easy to clean up after. If we had a doggy door, it might solve the problem, but that's really not possible in our home current situation. Because of Bel, we have taken all the carpeting out of our home. Bare floors are easier to clean!
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets