[Dailydrool] Mitchell update

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 11:00:13 PST 2009

Mitchell is home in his little cozy pen. Nigel and Llewis are mad with envy
(how little they know) that Mitchell has his OWN PEN IN THE LIVING ROOM!!!
Periodically when it is vacant they get in and inspect. They haven't quite
worked out what the deal is.

Mitchell started his weaning off the Dexamethasone today. Yesterday he began
eating. When I came home from work he wagged his tail-- the first time we
have seen that since he went down. He still cannot walk without support. We
leave his tracking harness on him all the time and use the back hook to
leash to. That gives us some way of giving him support. He is very apt to
trot along very steadily for a few yards and then his front legs just
buckle. Then he has trouble getting up. He does NOT seem to be in any pain
whatsoever.

He began eating yesterday and has not stopped. Today I am trying to get him
back onto a schedule with the other dogs.
He cannot eat out of his bowl because it means he has to sit or stand, so we
are using a plastic plate with a lip. I need to find something better.
Mitchell likes to go out and wander the yard, not exactly my favorite
activity at 3 in the morning. The snow is gone but the dog poop is not yet.
We are working on it.
My deepest thanks to those of you who have sent drool, and prayers, and good
thoughts, and kept my spirits up. He'll probably never be the same, but at
least he is able to stay with us for awhile.

Hugs to all of you,
Bev & John, Nigel, Llewis, Cooper and especially, Mitchell.