[Dailydrool] Housebreaking

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Feb 9 06:08:08 PST 2009

<<You will need to take him out several times a day and praise him like he just won the lottery.>>

I would recommend that you take a young puppy out VERY often. Every time it eats, plays a lot, or does anything else that could get the pipes started and a few more times for good measure. If you have to take the hound out every hour, just count that as the cost of housebreaking. The interruption will not last forever.

As to tying your hound to you, remember that bassets are very low to the ground, and even as pups they can be very powerful. Our Jane could have knocked me off my feet, so I never tried that, but I was very vigilant.

I don't remember the age of your dog, but if you hang some bells on your door, a slightly older dog can learn to ring them when the urge comes along. It took our Jane a day to figure that out (but we've had to listen to the bells forever after).

Every time your hound does things right, give a REALLY good treat--those dried meat treats would be my choice. When I was training our Jane, really good treats seemed to turn things around. Suddenly she got the idea and it has never faded. She's much better than our boys at not having accidents, and I always claim it's because I trained her. Good training pays off in the long run, though it may be difficult to establish. The only hitch with this plan is that you have to carry treats out with you every time. Don't leave them in your coat pockets and leave your coat where the dog can get it, or your hound will probably chew a hole in your pockets to get them (or maybe you are better at hanging up your coat than I am and have a closet that is not blocked by your outside door!)

But remember, bassets can be slow to get the picture. That doesn't necessarily mean you are a failure. Just continue to be patient. Don't yell at the offending hound, since that will just make things worse--the last thing you need is to have the dog get nervous in this situation. A firm "no" is all you really need, though you may feel like screaming. But losing your cool will just show the dog that you are out of control, and he'll be less likely to obey.

Persistence and consistency will win the day. Remember that you're dealing with a stubborn basset and be just as stubborn as it is. To keep your mind set on your job, remember that it's going to be easier to train a young dog than an older one. This is your golden opportunity--one that will last a dog's lifetime and will make both your lives much easier. So don't give up.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets