[Dailydrool] housebreaking

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Mon Feb 9 10:32:21 PST 2009

OK, you can all laugh but . . .

To those of you who are having problems with housebreaking, let me share this:
When I first adopted Rolph, who was 2 1/2, he peed everywhere, whenever he felt like it (but only downstairs). Like many desperate basset owners since, I was at my wits end trying to stop it.
For some reason he never did it when I was out. Only when I was there in the house and quite often when I was watching.

After trying all the usual methods and a couple of 'off the wall' ones, after three months I finally got down on the floor, took his hairy face in my hands and told him he was to stop piddling inside if he wanted to stay with me.
After that, he would occasionally creep downstairs at night and pee, rather than wake me, but apart from that he never had another accident. And I solved the creeping downstairs with a baby gate at the top of the stairs.
Since then, the only time he has had any type of mishap was when he had an upset tummy and I didn't wake up fast enough. ie my fault.

Likewise, when I first had Clara she had a couple of accidents (not surprising, she must have been very upset at her sudden change of circumstances). I sat down with her and asked her not to do it again and said it was OK to ask to go outside. I have only had one accident from her since.

Tell me, am I the only one who reasons with my dogs?

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP