[Dailydrool] Eating funny

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:23:51 PST 2009

I do not know what caused the switch from bowl to plate. Lots of Bassets--
lots of dogs for that matter and not a few cats-- remove pieces of food from
their bowls and eat them either elsewhere (like, in your bed) or another
room, or next to the bowl.
However.
Cooper will not eat until Mitchell has eaten because they face each other
and altho Mitchell has never ever attempted to take Cooper's food from him,
not being a stupid dog, there remains in Cooper's brain a tiny little voice
that says "watch out. Watch him. don't take your eyes off him until he is
out of sight..."
Sometimes I simply turn Cooper so he faces the other direction.
Otherwise I would say, feed them in separate rooms where they cannot see
each other or at least far apart and facing away from each other. I have no
clue what has made Cooper a little paranoid other than his native Belgian
Brain (NOT that Belgians are paranoid, but some of their dogs apparently
are) (Ok Belgian Sheepdogs are a little on the hinky side, I admit it.)
Llewis has learned that if he stares at Cooper long enough, Cooper will
eventually see it as a challenge and approach Llewis which gives Llewis the
chance to go around Cooper and grab whatever it was that Cooper had that
Llewis wanted. Nigel cannot get away with this. Only Llewis.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis the Clever, Mitchell and Cooper the ....Belgian.