[Dailydrool] Soggy Basset

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 14:59:03 PST 2009

Its been raining all day today in our part of England, or maybe that's an understatement.  Heavy, sleety rain, the kind that drenches.  If you a duck, it is blissful.  But as we are a 2-legger and a basset, it's woeful.  I got in late from work tonight (dadslave had already fed Morse) and found said basset with happy, wagging tail.  Despite the sleeting, pelting, freezing rain, Morse wants to go for a walk, so off we trot into the night.  Happily we are only about for about 20 mins and he seems ready to come home, and I more than readily comply. After getting through about 3 towels drying  him off, Morse settles down in front of the fire and I get dinner.  All is well.  I am fending off another cold (the perils of working in a general hospital) and after dinner I set about flicking through the tv guide, wondering what delights await.  I hear a little whimper and lower the tv guide.  A set of purposeful eyes meet mine, and my heart
 sinks.  I know that look so well.  It says, clearly, 'did you really think that walk was enough?  Don't be ridiculous'.  I try ignoring the noise but it continues at a higher pitch, and finally the snooter appears and crunches into the tv guide, forcefully.  There is no escape, so up I get and off, we are out again, knowing that this is the Walk Round The Village (est. time: 1 hour at least).  By this time the rain is, if possible, even harder, and my gloves haven't dried out from the previous walk.  We get to the top of our drive and the horrendous weather even dampens Morse's spirits and he looks at me balefully.  I suggest going back in, but that is obviously the wrong thing to say and he purposefully plods forward, with me wearily trudging behind.  After 45 minutes, we are both soaked through to the skin and freezing, and you would think he would want to bring this misery to an end.  But no, this doesn't stop him from
 doing his party-piece,   Flat Basset on friend Aunty Helen's driveway (hoping for a treat) in near flood conditions, and I can now feel rain literally running down my neck.  I'm afraid Morse's neck may have stretched a few feet at that point, as I decided firm action was needed.  We finally got home (just over an hour later) and he is now stretched out  happily in front of his fire, after being thoroughly dried (another 4 sodden towels wait in the laundry).  *sigh*.  Oh to be a basset....

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB x