[Dailydrool] housebreaking & feeding issues

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:50:06 PST 2009

Growing up we/I had people-pleasing dawgs. German shepards, labs etc. I used to housebreak and obedience train them easily and quickly.
Imagine my surprise when Ms.Brandy came along! I was ( still am) certain that bassets are the most stubborn creatures that God ever created! By 4 months of age...it was still mostly hit and miss. Many a morning we would wake up to a 'wet spot' in the bed. We got so used to this that at some point we stopped changing sheets in the middle of the night and simply moved over and put a towel on it til morning.
We did not find out that Ms.Brandy was deaf until she was over 4 months old- finding that tidbit out certainly helped to housebreak her! Obviously all my cooing of ' what a good girl' and whatever other verbal praise I lavished was totally lost on her. I then started praising by petting and giving her treats for going in the right places. I think she was about 6 months old before she was totally housebroken.
Someone posted about one of her boys suddenly being finicky and now eating off a plate. She naively wondered when this would end or where it might lead... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't give in to him! He will NOT starve himself. I speak from experience~ next thing you know you will be cooking variety foods to get him to eat. You'll be serving him by hand- and I mean that literally! TRUST ME on this. Give him his food and either he eats or not. If not, then after 15 minutes pick it up and he skips a meal. He will NOT starve. ( all this of course assuming there is nothing medically wrong with him to have caused him to lose his appetite). TRUST ME... I have been there- am STILL there nearly 14 years later. Doing it different the next time around - yeah right!
Renee mentioned BG kibble a few days ago. I also buy this- quality food and grain free. I buy the Buffalo flavored one...and the houndage actually EATS is- well after I add this or that...see beginning of post LOL!
droolies, Angelika- slave to Ms.Brandy and Elvis too!