[Dailydrool] Boomer's eating...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 17:17:32 PST 2009

Our Dudley, the last one to join our crew, was found wandering the
streets of a town several miles from here, oddly enough, the same town
where our Dozer was picked up. He's a sweet boy most of the time but
does still have some food issues which we are working on.  Our babies
all eat in the kitchen, but in opposite corners so no one is too close
to the other.  Everyone but Dud eats with gusto as soon as their bowl
is put down.  Dudley does not.  He meanders around, sometimes walks
into the hallway and lays down.  If he stays there I pick up his food.
Most of the time he prefers to wait until everyone else is done and
will then eat just fine.  Perhaps Boomer would prefer to do this as
well.  I would guess that Dudley would eat his if he got special
attention from me also but I'm not starting this, LOL.  Any Basset
worth their salt will eat when they get hungry enough.  As long as he
doesn't seem ill I would try feeding them separately and at different
times.  Just a thought...

Sandi, Mamaslave to the Belles and The Boys - Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and
Dudley

Now to the problem at hand. Recently, Boomer has taken to ignoring his

food--hardly basset-like behavior. They eat in the kitchen from their
own

stainless-steel bowls. Baxter eats like a champ, but Boomer lays there
and

grunts. He will eat if I pour the food on the floor or on a paper
plate, but

even then he only begins once Baxter is finished. Baxter becomes annoyed

with Boomer's slowness and often tries to sneak bites from his plate.