[Dailydrool] reasoning with dogs

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Feb 10 06:01:23 PST 2009

You are absolutely NOT the only person who has had to have a talk with their dog!  When Clover was much younger, and her litter of pups was about 12 wks old or so, she decided that she hated them and would charge them and roll them any time they went past. She was a wonderful protective attentive mother, but she had no patience once her milk dried up. It was obvious that she didn't want these little invaders taking over her home and any attention she thought was due her.  After about a week of hollering at her and grabbing her by the collar and pulling her off the pups, I decided that there was only one thing to do.  I took her face in my hands and told her that if she did it again I would beat her.  As I talked I visualized the puppies coming in and running past her, her charging, and then my hand smacking her on the rump and me scruffing and rolling her.  Then I told her that if she ignored them, I would sit with her and give her a massage.  I visualized the pups running past and her turning her head away, then me praising her and giving her the massage.

When I let the pups in the next time, she growled and charged, but when I yelled and shook my finger in her face she stopped and turned away, grumbling the whole time.  I never did have to raise a hand to her, or scruff her. She got her massage for not completing her charge, and after that she was completely trustworthy to only curl a lip and growl, but she didn't advance on them when I told her to stop.  She now is tolerant of the other dogs, even though she prefers to be the queen bee and be left alone.  At 12 yrs old, she deserves to be the queen anyway.

On a funny note, her daughter Channy absolutely must pay homage to her every day.  Every morning after breakfast and after dinner, Channy runs over to Clover and cowers down until Clover turns and acknowledges her.  They must touch noses before Channy will run outside.  The other day, Channy took this even further.  Clover wasn't feeling well, and Channy decided that she wanted to cuddle Clover.  Clover has never allowed any other dog to cuddle her but Bubby, and so as Channy wheedled up to her, and then nested up against her, it was quite a shock to see that Clover didn't move away.  Rick said that they stayed like that for a few minutes, with Clover actually resting her head on Channy's head.  I don't think it was affection on Clover's part, I think she was just too lazy to move, but still it is kind of funny that it happened.

BTW... I had written that Clover had breast cancer, but I now believe we were wrong.  She had a lump the size of a fist, but a couple of weeks ago she had what appeared to be a rug burn in an odd place on the same teat, and the teat was flaccid and soft, and back to its normal size.  It must have been a large, rapidly growing cyst that decided to drain.  I cleaned and dressed the wound, and in the days that followed the wound healed beautifully. She is so happy to not drag that thing through the snow any more, you can tell that she is happy.  What a blessing!  We had resigned ourselves to allowing her as many happy days as possible then letting her go.  Looks like we will have more time with our old girl.  God is good.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!