[Dailydrool] weight issues

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Tue Feb 10 14:51:25 PST 2009

We had to get Schroeder down from 72 pounds in July when he came into
the rescue, he's now at 60 and holding for 3 months.  We give him the
regular food but feed twice a day, a 1/4 cup less than the
recommendation each meal and then add a cup of raw veggies to the meal.
Right now he's getting a cup and a 1/4 morning and evening with the
veggies in each.  His favorite veggies are cauliflower and carrots, but
he'll eat anything so we've given him celery, green beans, asparagus,
broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, cabbage leaves, turnips, etc.  For
treats we give him frozen cauliflower or big massive carrots that he'll
sit down and treat like a rawhide.  If he gets any other treat they are
plain rawhide chews.
He still hoovers and acts like we are killing him, he'll steal food at
any given chance but..... there's his health or his wants to deal with,
we are taking the health route.  His joints are much better now, no more
heavy breathing, not as many fat rolls and he can wear a harness without
having trouble moving in it.

Carmen