[Dailydrool] Sally eats EVERYTHING

Emily W. Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:36:21 PST 2009

Why does my three year old Sally eat EVERYTHING?

It started with her nosing through the trash. Fine, dogs do that. Then
she moved on to my husband's briefcase, chewing up his gel pens and
several of his asthma inhalers (not the medication part, just the
plastic, thank goodness). She nosed through my girlfriend's purse one
evening and chewed up her cell phone.

Now she has gotten into anything and everything paper or cardboard --
toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes, tissues, napkins, cards (I found
her chewing a box of thank you notes). She has even eaten (literally
chewed and swallowed) the ear plugs I use at night to block my
husband's (and her!) snoring.

I just don't get it ... she has plenty of toys and she gets fed and
walked twice a day. Is this just an evil basset tendency? It's not so
much that I'm upset with her destroying things (even though I am) but
I'm mostly worried that she's going to eat something that might hurt
her.

What can I do?

Emily, mom to Sally the hungry