[Dailydrool] BRBR picks up severely abused basset

Leanne Potts leanne.potts at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:20:09 PST 2009

Not even a week after we picked up Teddy, the basset puppy left blind by a
backyard breeder too cheap to see a vet, we have picked up another pitiful
basset. This one is a lovely girl named Annie who has had a horrific life.
Her owner left her in an outdoor pen standing in her own feces in
single-digit temperatures. But worst of all, the owner left a tight harness
on the dog for so long her flesh grew over the harness. You can follow this
link to see photos. Warning! They are not for the faint-hearted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leanneland/3270156159/in/set-72157613593806933/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/leanneland/3270156159/in/set-72157613593806933/>

She survived the removal of the harness and is in the care of our
organization. Annie has a long road to recovery. She was released from the
vet yesterday, after spending several days in the hospital, but she must
return every other day to have her bandages changed and her wounds cleaned.
The laceration around her torso, nearly an inch deep, was so severe the vet
has left it open so it can drain. Poor Annie is a mess, physically and
mentally.

What can you do?

Contact the authorities in the county where this was done to Annie and
demand that charges be pressed against Annie's owners.  Here are their
addresses:

Washington Co. (TN) Sheriff's Department
Ed Graybeal, Sheriff
101 East Market Street
Johnson City, TN 37604
(423)461-1414
Fax: (423) 926-5493
e-mail to: sheriffgraybeal at wcso.net

Washington Co. (TN) District Attorney
Tony Clark, Dist. Attorney
100 East Main Street
Jonesborough, TN 37659
(423)753-3884

Send them the photos. Tell them this dog was picked up in their
jurisdiction. Let them know the justice system needs to speak for the
voiceless, like Annie. And tell them they can contact Belly Rubs Basset
Rescue for more information on where we got this dog and who her owner is.
If we file charges, it might get ignored. If the public who gave them their
power demands they file charges, they can't ignore it.

Yours in fighting for abused dogs,

Leanne Potts
President, Belly Rubs Basset Rescue
www.bellyrubs.org