[Dailydrool] Reasoning with Hounds

Leah McConnell lmcconnell at centurytel.net
Tue Feb 10 19:47:02 PST 2009

I reason with Maggie and we have little chats like - "back seat, no front
seat, back seat only" -  when I leave her in the car. It works 98% of the
time. We have talks about leaving the trash alone, not barking while her
meals are being prepared and other such things. She listens intently and
then does what she wants. I know the lapses have nothing to do with her
memory- she knows and remembers every place in FH that gives treats to dogs
and where the taboo edible item are on our walks. She can remember that for
3 days - just waits for mom to forget so she can do a snatch and gulp. She
also knows what works to get people to give her treats and can identify the
various vehicles that people drive and knows who drives them. Of course she
is an OEBE so perfect behavior can't be expected and she really doesn't seem
to be into pleasing mom unless it involves a treat. I remember Rusty would
think about choices if you gave her any before she decided on what she was
going to do. I swear I could see the wheels turning in her head. Maggie's
big thing now is to request pets and ear skritches before she does outside.
She gets her fill aond she goes over to the door to go out. They know hiow
to use the different looks to get what they want and figure if they are
annoying enough or loud enough you'll give in to get them to shut up or stop
what they are doing. If she doesn't eat but will eat her treats I don't
worry about her - I have gone through the fussy food thing with her. That
houndette would never starve herself.

On another note, I have a gentle leader to use on her - she hates it and
constantly tries to get it off her nose. Now I rarely use it - that was
another discussion we had.  If I really want to control her, I use her
harness and I request that other people who give her walkies use it - I have
had  her collar slip off her head a few times when she got stubborn and
wouldn't move. I can actually move her body with it on and she tends to mind
better or get pulled along.

She loves her new diet of chickie, rice and cottage cheese - she gobbled it
right up. I detest cottage cheese so she will be eating it until the carton
is empty. I finally swept up the old rice and have found it ground into the
hall rug.

Leah momslave to Maggie the Evil Empress of the San Juan Islands OEBE and
Rusty ATB