[Dailydrool] Hungry hounds and weight issues...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 19:03:33 PST 2009

Teresa, we have four hounds, all of which have healthy appetites and
three would have at one time or other had weight issues.  Daisy would
eat anything, any time.  Ditto, Dozer.  Delilah is far too much of a
lady to admit it but she, too, got a bit "fluffy" for awhile.  Dudley
is a lean, mean movement machine, LOL.  Seriously, he is a long, lean
hound and I don't see his weight ever being a problem.  Ideally, I
wanted something which all of them could eat.  Ginny of Petku, Dogku
and Bassetku fame suggested Flint River foods which I tried and LOVE!
It's a dense, nutrient-packed baked food with lots of crunch, no
artificial preservatives or ingredients and actually smells pretty darn
good.  They have several varieties, one even makes a nice gravy if you
add hot water. What I like best about Flint River (beside the quality
of their food) is they ship it to your door in just a few days, FREE! I
use the lamb formula because two out of the four have problems with
wheat-based foods causing ear issues.  They eat twice a day, one level
cupful.  At night I add a heaping tablespoonful of plain yogurt and
some greenie, er...grean beans, LOL.  The bowls are emptied with gusto.
  Would they eat more if I gave it to them?  Absolutely!  Do they also
enjoy their dried chickie treats?  Yup.  However, they have stopped
acting as if they are still starved because the food satisfies them and =0
they know another meal is coming in 12 hours.

I think your crew would benefit from a twice daily feeding so they
won't feel so "deprived."  If you would llike more info on Flint River,
email me or Ginny off list.    Hope this helps...

 Sandi, Mamaslave to the Belles and The Boys = Daisy, Delilah, Dozer
and Dudley