[Dailydrool] Fred's hip

Kea McKnight caper579 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:05:35 PST 2009

About 11 years ago my younger son was diagnosed with Legg Perthes Disease. Being the curious person that I am, I wanted to know everything I could about this ailment. While researching it on the internet I came across a lot of information about canine Legg Perthes Disease, which was basically the same condition, but in dogs. It is described as the ball of the hip joint losing it's blood supply, which causes it to deteriorate and flatten out. It can cause dislocation of the hip because the ball shrinks. It does regenerate eventually but it takes years to do so in humans, not too sure about dogs. It might be worth looking into. Just thought I'd mention this.

Kea, with droolers Copper and Abby