[Dailydrool] my baby Nellie is gone to sleep forever

Jaime Brigance brigancehappy at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 06:53:22 PST 2009

dear droolers;

This is Jaime in Portland, Oregon.

Our precious Nellie has passed to the rainbow bridge early am after a
relatively short illness.  I never knew her exact age, she is a rescue from
Suncoast Basset Rescue in Florida.  She is probably about 12-14 the vet
says .   Nyle and I got her in 2001 while in
FL visiting my son (who now lives with me also).

Oh, GOD I'm so grateful I was with her, holding her.

my heart has broken off another huge piece.

Nellie was badly abused, a puppy breeder.  She had mended broken
ribs when we got her, and was terrified of a broom even after years of
love and snooter kisses.

the world will never be the same again.  The air will never be as
brisk, the sun won't shine as bright.

But, OH how her light shines, even at this moment I feel her love.

Of all the six hounds we have had through the years, she has been
my baby, always a velcro sweetie.

And she was the fulfillment of a lifetime dream of mine to have a
basset hound, she was my first houndie.  What a great decision
that was at the time.

During a crisis, she would never leave my side, even let me go to
the bathroom alone.

My 12 year old Jessica was up with us most of the night, but went to her room
just 20 minutes before Nellie drew her last breathe in my arms.

I wrapped her in one of her favorite blankets with one of my bears she
liked to cuddle with and laid her in a chair in the living room.

There is nothing to do now, but mourn.  I'm tired of mourning.  Guess
we all are tired of mourning for someone or something.

I lost my husband Nyle to suicide July 2005 and I'm still not anywhere near
over him.  We were more best friends than "husband and wife" and Nellie
sure loved him also, as he loved her.   He was my daughter Jessica's
father.

He and I went across country from FL back to Oregon in a huge U-haul
pulling a Honda with Nellie in the front seat with us.  Whoever was not
driving was holding Nellie, 'cause there was no more room to do anything
else and she loved it sooooo much, crack the window and she was in
delight, long ears flapping in the breeze!!!

I know Nyle is loving her now, along with Quigley and Ruby and all the
special babies at the Rainbow Bridge.

 In January, we relinquished two foster babies that we had let get the
best of us, you know the special agent counter cruisers who get the
other animals (cats if you can imagine) in on the deal and tear the
place apart (but still love you and make you smile at the mess).
We had wanted to adopt them, but we had to move twice with them
and things just got out of hand and we allowed them to take over.

Jessica told me just a few minutes after Nellie passed "you should
not have given away Clyde & Seymour".......

Clyde and Seymour didn't get along too well with Nellie, NO I think
it was the other way around.  She felt they were intruding on her
turf, as top Senior Hound.  They were only 7 years old.  I know they
went to a different environment that they needed to go to, and now
I can't believe how desperately empty the house is, and it has only
been a few hours.......

To think just in January we had 3 precious houndies and now we are
without furry toenails on the kitchen floor.......I can't believe it
yet.

We have 3 cats, but you all know it is not the same when a kitty
gives a snooter kiss :)   I love cats also.  But bassets are my
passion.

For those who pray, please pray for my daughter Jessica, she
has endured much for one so young.

To those who do rescue work, and especially Suncoast Basset
Rescue and Karen Chile, you are Angels on Earth and bless you
all for all that you take on.

What else can I say?  Oh, I love you Nellie, so much.
 goodnite and sweetdreams my special princess

love & snooter kisses to everyone,

Jaime Brigance
Portland Oregon

Quigley, Ruby & Nellie, ATB