[Dailydrool] Mitchell update update update

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 08:51:03 PST 2009

Mitchell is about the same. His motor skills are poor. He cannot color in
the lines at all and we have taken the scissors away from him.
He has his own little (not so little) pen in the Living Room and to the
absolute horror of the other dogs, it includes ALL the morning sunlight.
Yesterday Llewis managed to get in there to lay in the sun with Mitchell.
Altho I joke about his motor skills it is true that they basically suck. He
has serious neurological deficits both front and rear. We have switched,
after a very traumatic morning Friday when he collapsed outside on the deck
(I thought he was dead). back to injectible Dexamethasone. Every day he also
gets sucralfate and Tagamet for his tummy, an anti-spas for his bowels, and
usually tramadol once or twice a day.
Lest any of you be wondering why we do not put him down do not bother to
write and suggest it, or ask. It is because he still is enjoying the limited
time he has. He will not be recovering from this, we know. Eventually even
the meagre skills he has will deteriorate and we are well aware of this.
Meantime we purchased a FABULOUS harness/support system (since he has
trouble front AND rear) It was very expensive but it arrived yesterday (one
day after we ordered it) and I am in love with it.It takes some getting used
to, putting it on a dog that cannot stand up for you to do it, but it
provides total support, from the chest to rear. Designed so the boys cannot
pee on it by mistake, I think Mitchell feels safer and more confident when
he has to go outside.He is learning quickly that unless I let go of the
straps,he cannot fall. I don't own stock in the company but i sure wish i
did.

MomPerson to Nigel,Llewis,Cooper and especially Mitchell