[Dailydrool] Chronic ear infections

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Feb 19 16:17:53 PST 2009

I had sent Leanne a private note recommending the Blue Power Ear Treatment. But after Elizabeth's excellent post, I thought I'd add a bit more information.

Please be aware that ear infections can be caused by a number of bacteria. Not every medication works on every bacteria. For the first round, a vet will usually use a medication that deals with the bacteria that is suspected of causing the trouble. If that does not work, you need to change to something else. By the second or third time (at latest) I would think the antibiotic should be what's called a "broad-spectrum antibiotic," which simply means it can eliminate many bacteria.

If, even after this, you have trouble getting rid of the bacteria, the vet should take a test that will identify just what the bacteria is and what drugs should work on it. That way you are no longer batting around in the dark, trying to hit the right one. And if this bacteria is already resistant to a medication, you will not be wasting your money on useless drugs.

With our Alexis, we went though every drug that would impact pseudomonas. We whittled the options down to drugs that were not readily available. At that point, we tried the Blue Power Ear Treatment. I had to use it constantly, but it kept Alexis' one ear working. The other, which was very painful, we lost to a TECA.

If you have a dog with an ear infection, deal with it while it's small. That way you will avoid paying for the TECA, and your dog will avoid the pain that goes with that surgery. Even though Alexis had a just wonderful surgeon, it was a difficult time for us all.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets