[Dailydrool] Stumping for Pledges and Remembering So Many Wonderful Woofers

Susan Randolph msrandolph at verizon.net
Sat Feb 21 13:35:17 PST 2009

So many sad good-byes on the Drool of late. But I, Daisy Mae, chief
pawcurement officer in the house, want to share some of the happy stories
and the woofer wisdom circulated on the Daily Drool over the years -- to
honor all of the sweet Bridge babies.

Lately, my slave has been very remiss in her fundraising for BROOD, so I am
taking the reins and will be sharing a few of the classic DD stories that
are included in YOU HAD ME AT AHROOO (more than 140 pages of favorite
postings and pix from the Daily Drool). If you haven't read it yet, please
order a copy now and help me raise funds for Basset Rescue of Old Dominion.
Or purchase one of the other wonderfully creative crafts offered by
resourceful Droolers to support rescue. Or make a donation to your local
rescue in memory of a special pup pal. It's the best way to honor our
special Bridge babies.

A few years ago, someone posted a query to the list asking what everyone
wished they knew before they got their first basset. Here was Beth
Howering's poignant answer (captured in YOU HAD ME AT AHROOO, p 23):

I wish I knew they came with a social life -- and a whole new family when
they come from rescue. We discovered our whole new life through the Drool
and have made many lasting friendships and found an extended family because
of Blossom. We also became very involved with rescue.

I wish I knew that the basset relationship is reversed from other dogs -- we
being the trainees, they being the train-ers.

I wish I knew how much they needed companions and that I would be at risk of
filling a house with bassets if I don't watch
myself -- and not just for them -- for me, because they offer so much love,
humor, affection, entertainment, hair, drool, shredded tissues, emptied
trash bins, snuggles, smooshy kisses and total devotion. Sigh.

I also wish I knew how much extra work they are -- and that it is worth it.
Ear cleaning is an absolute must on a regular basis, nail trimming too,
which is much more frequent than with other dogs and much more challenging.
Eye exams to prevent infections and to watch for glaucoma -- I check every
day for discharge, crunchies and unclear eyes. "Boot scooting" indicates
time to empty the anal glands.

I wish I knew how totally I would lose my heart to them. They have this
magic that wins over even the Grinchiest people. There is so much more, but
the fun is in learning it and best of all -- in living it.

Hear, hear Beth! To read more wonderful classics, order your copy of YOU HAD
ME AT AHROOO (all profits go to BROOD) -- just visit www.fortheloveofdog.net
for all the details. You'll also see the Wag Tags and Drool Diapers offered
by my slave to help the homeless houndies.

Drool on,

Daisy Mae (Toby too)

P.S. If you haven't ordered your copy of Ginny Tata-Phillips's Bassetku,
you're missing out on another wonderful tome of basset wisdom!!