[Dailydrool] Rosie's Surgeries & path Reports

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 16:50:21 PST 2009

  Sorry for the delay in getting this update to y'all.  Rosie went in on 2/10 with the expection of 1:15 of surgery which turned into 2:15.  She had the wart/skin tag on the top of her head removed, the Epulis in her mouth removed, the "growth" on her leg (which truly looked like a dew claw) removed and then the Teeth cleaning began and the Vet called me to say he had bad news.  Rosie's bottom middle six teeth were not firmly attached to her jaw bone and she had large "pockets" in her gums around these teeth and in the "pockets" they found grass, dirt & hair.  The Vet felt it was best to remove the teeth and clean out the gums then stitch them up.  I was at work when he called and I told him to go ahead and remove the teeth although I did ask if there was ANY way we could save them but his answer was no.  Since she was under for so long, we let her spend the night and I picked her up the next morning.

  She looked so very sad and her mouth was quite swollen, she had two stitches on the top of her head and a very large bandage on her leg.  He had her in a soft collar which made her look all the more sad.  She came home with Antibiotics, and pain killers.  She was happy to get out of there but when I took her into the house and took off the collar she went to her "bad" corner (a corner she goes to if I yell at her) and promptly turned her head to the wall.  She would not look at me and that made me feel even worse.  I coaxed her out of her corner and made her a nice soft bed in the sun - which she loves - and then I tried to lay next to her and she got up and moved to the other side of the room.  I knew then that she was so totally mad at me!

  Since her gums were swollen, I made her some chicken soup and she basically lived on broth for two days and then the swelling went down enough that I could add her veggies and some shredded chicken.

   Well, she will have her stitched out tomorrow and we got the Pathology reports back on Thursday.  The Epulis  and the "growth" on her leg were both benign tumors - phew!  The vet said the Pathology report stated that the growth on the leg was the type that would eventually eaten at the bone and would have resulted in an amputation.  The report also stated that the type of epulis she had is the type that can occur again somewhere else in the mouth.  So,  we are going to be more deligent about brushing teeth and checking out the mouth.

   She will be on an Antibiotic for the UTI, for another 11 days as the vet said it is a bad one and he wants to make sure there is no chance of it getting up to the kidneys.

   She's eating fine now but she looks so odd without her teeth, when she barks/howls you can pratically see down her throat!

   Oh yes, I do believe she has forgiven me  -  you just gotta love these guys!

  Thanks to everyone who sent us that Great Drool and all the well wishes....we love you guys!

Carol & Rosie in Florida