[Dailydrool] Updates on Kelvin and Gus

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 15:50:10 PST 2009

Info from the vet.....

Kelvin first
BUN was very elevated +100, normal is 25, normal for CRF with treatment
is 60 - 80, but at first diagnosis it's usually 150 or more.
We aren't up that far and the vet wants a retest when we do Gus's T4 to
see if it was just dehydration since all his veins blew or failed when
they were trying to pull blood.

This was not unexpected due to the ehrlickia diagnosis in December it
just means he's further along in the disease that we assumed. I will be
starting a CRF diet for him anyway after the next test if it is still
elevated.

One more reason not to EVER adopt him out.

Now Gus
We have results back already Vet is using the lab in Austin now so it's
WAY faster.

Follicular Nevus

This is what I have found on it so far:
Nevi: An hamartoma is a malformation with tumoral aspect, formed by
components which are normal parts of the organ in which it develops but
which are arranged erroneously (CIVATTE). A nevus is a cutaneous
hamartoma which may arise from any skin component. Nevi are rare,
congenital or not and the mechanism of their formation is unknown.

a. Collagenous nevi are single or multiple nodules (0.5 to a few cm)
with sometimes an "orange peel" appearance. Large nodular areas of
collagene hyperplasia characterize the disease histopathologically. In
German Shepherds multiple collagenous nevi may appear, particularly on
the limbs (leading to lameness), associated with renal adenocarcinomas
and uterine leiomyomas. This syndrome, due to an autosomal dominant
gene, is called "nodular dermatofibrosis".

b. Organoid or pilo-sebaceous nevi are solitary or multiple lesions,
pedunculated or linear, seen on the hand or the limbs. Hyperplasia of
hair follicles and sebaceous glands are the main histopathological
features (apocrine sweat glands remaining normal). Focal adnexal
dysplasia is similar but there is inflammation and a bizarre configuration.

c. Vascular nevi or angioma are often multiple lesions seen in the
scrotum but also all over the body surface. Bleeding is frequent.
Histopathology shows a cavernous telangiectasia.

d. Sebaceous nevi are very rare congenital lesions characterized by
sebaceous hyperplasia involving multiple folliculosebaceous units and
papillomatosis. Miniature Schnauzer comedo syndrome can be considered as
a pseudoneoplasm.

e. Epidermal nevi are hyperpigmented linear plaques seen on the trunk or
limbs, histopathologically characterized by orthokeratotic
hyperkeratosis and papillomatosis.

*f. Follicular nevi are plaques (several cms in diameter) containing
clusters of normal anagen primary hair follicles that are large and
extend deeply.*

g. Treatment: nevi should be surgically excised when feasible.

Theory is that Gus's nevi form into pilomatricoma if left alone. they
will all come out from now on. Lab wants to use him as a study since
it's not remotely normal in bassets.

Carmen