[Dailydrool] Bassets and Balls

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 08:47:59 PST 2009

Occasionally, Tom and I are blessed with houndsitting my second favorite boy
Basset, Harry Pawtear from Bluefence Kennels, and that boy lives to chase
and retrieve balls, then tease me or Tom by running to us with the ball,
then just about the time he gets within reach makes a tight b-line away.
He's such a devil.

One of Harry's favorite ball things is when I throw it in the patio, he will
barrel after it, then runs back into the house and trots this cutest-ever
trot around and around and around the kitchen table while I chase him
saying, "I'm gunna' git yer butt" *sigh.* Then he goes faster and faster
around and around the table then out the patio door never dropping the ball.
It's all about the ball, but adding the "I'm gunna' git yer butt" to the
game thrills him to pieces!!

When he's here, he has 3 balls in the yard ~~ his Halloween ball, his
Christmas ball, and his whatever ball; they're just his and he knows it.
When we're through playing I put them away right where he could get them if
he wanted, and I tell him "no more," and he looks at me like, 'uhm, no,
we're not.' But he leaves them alone until it's "ball time."
OMG!! He is SO CUTE!

The down side of Harry's ball fetish is, I can't take him to the dog park
because as soon as he discovers the balls, they're his and he walks around
guarding them and grumbling.

You can see Harry Pawtear in the DD Calendar on December 26!! Go look! He's
the cutest boy, ever. But Beaver is the runner-up for cutest boy ever.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), El Queeno BessWHSE,
RoseyMaeNAFASSDDBBSSSBSAT, & (FC)Theodore CleavEar Beaver Bickell,
Fort Bragg, CA.