[Dailydrool] Ball Chasing and Prey Drive

Kristin Mielke kristin.mielke063 at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 28 09:37:46 PST 2009

Hushy will chase a ball and fetch, but he much preffers to fetch his stuffed
rabbit  and fox.  He will bring you the stuffie, demand you throw it,  and
bring it back to you after he whops it back and forth holding its head in
his mouth.  This activity happens every night from 9pm to 10pm while I am
watching TV.  We have never taught him to fetch, it is completely
instinctive.  I found this out when he fetched the not to bright wild Rabbit
that set up residence in our yard last year.  Mr. Rabbit got chased, caught,
and once it's neck was broken returned to me...yuck.  It all happened in
about 2 minutes...eek.  So yes Bassets can retrieve, and do have prey
instinct.   They will however not eat the prey, the fun appears to be over
once the victim has been dispenced with.  The bunnies thankfully have moved
next door to the Taco Bell dog's house.

Kris (Eek, eek, eek, gross)
Hushy (Mommy lookie what I got just fer you, lookie,,,)