[Dailydrool] Intro

O' Conchubair newfler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:59:45 PST 2009

I am Denise.  My husband and I live just outside of Raleigh, North Carolina with our 11 year old black Newfoundland and our 12+ year old Abyssinian cat.
I have had pets all my life.  Our first dog, was a heinz 57.  The first dog I got myself, as an adult, was a Dachshund and true to their temperament, she bit some people.  Then, I had larger dogs from 80 to 140 pounds.
While we love Newfs, we have decided that we want to get a smaller dog when the time comes.  I am leaning toward the Basset.  My husband won't commit.  He did agree to visit with Bassets in the Cary-Apex-Morrisville areas.  Are there any?
I am looking for a breed that requires minimum grooming.  I had an Afghan Hound, talk about grooming LOL  Very important to allow people in and out, get along with cat, and children of various ages.  Many children of various ages in the neighborhood.
I would like to be decided on a breed and possibly have the names of breeders who test their dogs.  I am concerned about all the health issues for the breed.
I am here to learn.  Thank you.
In NC, PETA took dogs from shelters saying  they would find them homes.  Dead dogs were found in a dumpster behind a grocery store.
The two former border cards were set free because it was thought the sentences were excessive and not because their crime was excused.  It is terrible the dogs had to suffer!
It is freezing cold down here, I might just as well have stayed in Boston and N.H.  We may have snow!

Denise
"Place me not with those who are weak of mind and willingly give up the rights of others, for these poor ignorant souls know not that the rights they give up are their own!" -- Warren Friton