[Dailydrool] Surviving the holidays with the herd

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Thu Jan 1 19:48:09 PST 2009

Well, I think we've almost survived the 2 week break.  Monday isn't
getting here fast enough for the herd!
Let me give you a picture of who is who so you'll know who I'm talking
about:

http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Avatars/sigpicb..jpg

Tesla, our dane/lab mix has anxiety issues and July 4th and New year's
eve are not really good days for her due to fireworks and firearms,
followed closely by Christmas and then the tennis tournaments at the
school.  Loud noises and the like freak her out.  And we have neighbors
all around with kids who got dirt bikes, motorcycles, go carts, ATV's,
and other lovely gifts this year for Christmas.  It's wonderful for
everyone except Tesla, the low rumble of the engines are a sound she
feels more than hears and that scares her.  And when she gets upset Gus
starts barking.  And when Gus barks, everyone else here has to try to
out bark him.  As a result we've been trying to deal with everyone in
the living room for more hours of the day.  This is a small house,
smaller when you can't find a place to sit.
The 3 stooges, Nod, Winken and Onyx, had decided that they control the
new dog bed in the living room... until Sally sat on them.  They still
put Schroeder in his place when he gets out of line though.
Curie is finally starting to calm down, she'll be 2 in March.  Now
she'll chew on her treat for more than 5 minutes before she has to have
what is in someone else's mouth.
Kelvin still isn't sure what to make of all the movement here.  The 3
stooges are all over him all the time.  Curie keeps trying to sit on his
head.  Tesla roots him off the couch what she wants to sit down and Gus
is still looking for my Topaz that we lost in September, so he's always
searching around the table looking in the chair seats and waiting for
him to pop him on the nose.  Sally trips over and bumps into Kelvin a
lot since he's not a fast mover.  Schroeder doesn't care about anything
unless it's food so he barrels his way across the room, through everybody.
Ashe and Sumi have had enough of the dogs and have decided it's time to
keep in hiding.  The brats, Jefferson and Timothy are amusing themselves
with hiding in the cabinets waiting for the dogs to start sniffing the
door and popping the doors open on them.

I'll be so glad when the young ones can play outside more!!  School
needs to get back into full swing!!

But... anyway.
Everyone except Tesla is doing ok.  Sally and Schroeder are still
looking for a great permanent home where they can get far more attention
than I can give them here and where they won't have to deal with foster
puppies /ever/ again.  Gus still loves the cats and Tesla.  Curie is
still a ferret wannabe.  And Kelvin, well he's getting better by the day.
Here's a few shots of him over the last few days:
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF3327a.JPG
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF3332b.JPG
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF3334a.JPG
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF3339b.JPG

I decided to add a page for him on my site but haven't added the new
pics yet:
http://www.krausdesigns.com/Kelvin

This morning he scared us a bit by refusing food and all treats.  His
stomach was rumbling so loud.  We let him sleep whatever it was off and
he was eating by noon.  Refusal to eat for more than 4 hours gives him a
direct call into our vet, guess he really didn't want to go back to the
vet this week.

Carmen