[Dailydrool] Degnerative joint disease & Current Basset Hound Breed Standards

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Fri Jan 2 09:22:07 PST 2009

Re:
> My boy Beau has been diagnosed with degenerative joint disease. He is affected in his knees and spine.   The vet has him on Deramaxx, Tramadol for pain and Dausuquein.  Does anyone have any good ideas as far as a diet that will help him? His dry food already contains glucosamine and chroindroitin.

The amount of Glucosamine and Chondroitin in dog foods is no where near the recommended daily dosage for a Basset Hound with joint issues. So, I recommend that you buy a supplement and give Beau 1,000 mgs of Glucosamine Hydrochloride per day. My Vet also mentioned Glucosamine with MSM in a Hydrochloride base. Most of the human preparations contain a sulphate based formula. Sulfate is not effective in dogs. I have found a human form that costs me roughly eight dollars for 100 pills instead of forty dollars at the Vet. Just make sure it is Hydrochloride based. Also, make sure Beau remains a bit under weight. The less stress on the joints the better. If he developes muscle spasms, ask the Vet for Robaxin.

When Oliver, Ben, and now, Zack, developed related conditions, I followed the advice above. Ben had Invertebrate Disc Disease, which ultimately did him in. Oliver and Zack are identical in that they both suffered (suffer) from osteoarthritis in the neck, in the lumbar 4/5 region with spondyliosis in the spine meets butt area. So, Zack is now on Glucosamine Hydrochloride and when he has pain, 1/4 Meloxicam. He is not heavy, eats a high quality food, gets exercise, is not allowed on couches or beds or stairs and still he developed this condition. He is 6 years old. Oliver lived to 13 years old with daily medications. Ben was put down at one week short 9 years old from herniated discs that caused multiple organ failure.

I know that Basset Hounds are low to the ground and should support massive bodies on short legs, but, I am finding more and more that the Basset Hounds out there now are lacking in rear ends. In other words, they do not ressemble the Basset Hound of, say, 1961, which is when I fell in love with the breed. Put one of the Top Winning Bassets Hounds in the world in the field and I believe that most would not be able to do what they were bred to do for extended periods of time. This is my opinion. Please do not send me personal attacks. I have watched many a dog show. I have seen handlers trying to get the Basset rear ends to stand on their own. I watch them sink to the mat.

Laurie and Zack.