[Dailydrool] cold weather walking

kaq1230 at comcast.net kaq1230 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 07:04:30 PST 2009

Hi all,

I was wondering at what temperature you stop walking your pups?  My guys have pretty high energy and need at least an hour walk per day for me to keep the house "calm".   When it is too cold for me, I don't walk them and limit their time outdoors, but too cold for me is about 5 degrees.  Today for instance it is about 25 degrees with a decent wind chill and we just got back from our walk, and they would have kept going.  The only other times they don't get walked is when it is snowing or soon after a snow when the sidewalks are not shoveled, I don't like to walk them in the street due to the salt and sand, so I usually wait for the sidewalks to be shoveled or at least walked on by other people so that the snow is packed so it doesn't form the icicles on their paws.  I have tried the booties, but they look at me with such panic and confusion and they completely flat basset...

Just wondering.

As a side note, a drooler had asked about the bells by the door.  I use them and love it.  I trained the boys a "touch it" first...very easy with food motivated pooche, just hold the treat in your fist and when the dog touches your hand with its nose reward with the treat and then add the verbal cue, I then transfered the touch to the bells and then opened the door and treated them outside.  It took about 5 minutes to train, but I have VERY food motivated guys, and one that catches on to "tricks" super quick which helps with the other two because they observe him doing it and then catch on.

Karen
dedicated slave to Rosco, Lemmy & Stewie