[Dailydrool] Tanking up

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 05:00:41 PST 2009

I have a question that I suspect I know the answer to already, but the RH
(Retired Hubbie)  is bugging me about it.
Llewis, in particular, does what I call "tanking up" on water. He will go
all day or most of the day without drinking, and then sit down and drink an
entire bowl of water and ask for a little more.
This doesn't bother me, I know that Cooper, when he is crated, does not
drink. The Boys won't eat bones when they are crated but hide them and pull
them out when the door opens, thus turning what was supposed to be a nice
treat into the objects of major dog fights. (What fun is it, after all, to
quietly chew a bone in your own crate??)
Nigel "tanks up" too but not nearly to the same extent.

The problem here is that we know for a fact that Llewis's innards are
probably not like other dogs. When he was neutered (cryptorchid) one
testicle was adhered to the wall of the bladder which was in the wrong place
and thickened. Doc had a helluva time getting it out. He was sufficiently
concerned that the next day he had me bring Llewis back in so that he could
run a test on his kidneys, but there was nothing wrong. Llewis never has
accidents in the house, he urinates normally and can hold it for a full 8
hours while we are (well-- not a problem anymore since ONE of us isn't
working anymore.) So I am inclined to think this is just an individual
quirk.

Does anyone else have dogs that tank up on water like that? He does it maybe
two or at the most three times a day and it drives RH insane. Heh.Heh.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper and sometimes, RH