[Dailydrool] Basset drinkers

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 10:52:37 PST 2009

Duchess was a champion drinker.  I would sometimes count the number of  laps
-- I used to give up after 400.  400!  And never stopping for a  breath.  I
wondered if dogs could drown indoors.

Sometimes I thought she was just hypnotized by the rhythm and wasn't even
aware of what she was doing.  Lap lap lap lap lap.  She'd look  surprised if I
interrupted her or the bowl became empty, like "huh?  was I  drinking?  well,
how about that," and then she'd wander away, shaking her  head in amazement,
lots of drops flinging off her jowls.

My Mom, a very delicate and fastidious lady (poor thing, living with a
basset when a pampered little poodle would have better fit her lifestyle) would
stop Duchess sometimes.  "That's just gluttony," she'd tell her, as she  moved
her bowl away.

How I miss them both.

Beth (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)