[Dailydrool] Homeowner's insurance vs. certain breeds

DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 12:35:46 PST 2009

I used to have a chow mix (Buffy, ATB 7/05) who I always described as a terrier mix when asked because I know some people have issues with chows.  She was a beautiful, sweet, cuddly dog but people were always afraid of her and not of my basset mix (Baxter, ATB 12/04) who would have eaten them alive if I let them get too close.  The insurance company would always ask what type of dogs I had, and one company wanted me to send pictures.  The agent I was dealing with called me back and asked me for a different picture of Buffy in which she didn't look so "scary".  She thought Baxter looked like "a big ole sweetie".  Just goes to show, appearances can be deceiving.  In fact when I realized during Buffy's early puppyhood that she was a chow mix (the tongue) I deliberately named her Buffy so that people would not be afraid of her - of course that was before Buffy the Vampire Slayer became so popular, tee hee.

So I'm always careful with my homeowner's insurance to be certain to describe my dogs in a very non-threatening way.  I completely understand why you might mis-identify a mix at the vet's or with an insurance company and I'm sympathetic to the persons who do so.

What a shame that certain breeds have gotten such bad press.  If only it were more widely understood that it is most often the upbringing and training, not the breed - most of the time, anyway.  I always treated Baxter well, he was doted on and never abused - but that dog just didn't like certain people (especially male vets).