[Dailydrool] owner dying needs rescue for basset in Omaha NE

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Sun Jan 4 12:35:37 PST 2009

Iowa Basset rescue received this plea for help.. The owner has months to live. the basset is in Omaha NE. We will help with transport for approved home. If you would like to contact the owner directly that is great too. My email is helena at proplanner.com I can send pictures if you would like to see them...

I have thoroughly enjoyed the past 5+ years with my basset, Maggie.  I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  The long term outlook is Short Term.  I need to find a perfect home for Maggie.  Maggie is overly attached to me so the transition will be difficult for her.  I need someone who will be sensitive and patient to that.  It is possible the stress may restart the seizures which, if caught early, can easily be controlled with additional Phenobarbital and the short term addition of valium.

Maggie is a 5 ½ yr old purebred  basset hound without papers.  Maggie is obnoxiously friendly, completely non-aggressive, happy, eager to please and LOVES attention.  She (sometimes)  J obeys a few simple commands.  This past summer Maggie began having seizures which soon became severe,  cluster, grand mal seizures.  Maggie has stabilized and is doing well on her medication (Phenobarbital)  which she HAS to have 2x/day, morning and night.  It is not expensive, $10/&15/month.   Maggie has gained some weight since being placed on the medication and is about 10 lbs overweight, (pictures taken before weight gain).  She gets along with other dogs and in the past has tolerated a cat.  She needs a loving, active family.  She loves to play.  Maggie was spayed as a puppy.

I expect to have a few months time.  If you can help in any way I will be most appreciative.

Elaine McClellen

ellene.2 at cox.net

Omaha, NE