[Dailydrool] Dumpster diving

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 18:22:56 PST 2009

Ace, the Newf, periodically gets in the trash. I have a metal can with two flaps and you need to step on a pedal. I occasionally overfill it so it doesn't close all the way and figured he was getting his nose in there to open it and pull things out - my fault. Well, I just watched him walk over, step on the pedal and stick his head in the can to see if there was anything interesting in there. There wasn't. I guess I can get a door stop or something along those lines to wedge under the pedal so he can't open it. So much for the expensive, dog proof trash can.

He is also getting just terrible about counter surfing. Every I come home, everything is on the floor (mail, etc) from him jumping up there and rooting around looking for food. I'm getting tired of cleaning giant paw prints off the counter. I just set the open tub of margarine out surrounded by mouse traps. It only took a minute before he set one off and took off into the other room LOL. I found the trap on the floor. I reset it, and the margarine AND a can of dog food are up there, but he hasn't gone back yet. Maybe this will actually work! I just need to set the traps before I leave (and remember to move them so I don't get snapped). Kahuna also hops up to check the counter, just in case, everytime he goes by. Maybe I'll get two dogs with one trap!

Synthia
Bud, Barney, Kahuna, Zuma, Pearl
Ace, the Newf (you don't know if there is anything good until you look!)
Baja the St Bernard
Maya the Great Dane