[Dailydrool] Marley movie

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Mon Jan 5 18:55:39 PST 2009

The movie actually was somewhat better than I expected -- I had already
read the book. Believe me, the movie-Marley is not nearly as destructive
as he really was. Grogan has to be a saint. Very, very few people would
have put up with the things the real Marley did. Of course, the movie
didn't follow the book exactly -- no movie ever does -- but close enough
in most respects. But the movie also is about the PEOPLE, their dreams,
hopes, plans and disappointments -- it's not just about the dog or dogs.
My biggest criticism would be that the movie didn't really seem to show
WHY Marley was loved so much -- mostly just showed him doing bad things,
except toward the end.

If you are tender-hearted, better pass this movie up as the ending is
worse even than the book -- and goes on and on for what seems like
forever. Everyone in our theater left crying and sniveling and didn't
even try to hide it. I hope there won't be a big call for Yellow Labs
now -- with current economy, perhaps fewer such impulsive thoughts will
be acted upon. Let's all hope there never is a movie totally about a
Basset Hound.

Riche