[Dailydrool] Lynx, kitty brother of Bo and Harley, to the bridge today

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 19:00:36 PST 2009

Today we had to say goodbye to our beloved elderly kitty, Lynx, who was failing from kidney disease.  Lynx broke in both basset hounds--Bo with a swat; Harley with patient disdain. Lynx liked to block the dog flap to assert his dominance over the hounds. It was because of Lynx that we first got bassets--the Internet recommended the basset as a dog breed which got along well with cats. (Drool stories lead me to believe that is not always the case). Lynx almost did Harley in by sharing mice carcasses with him (and Harley could not digest the bones as easily as Lynx did). I could write much about Lynx that is not basset-related, but will not. We loved him so much and will miss him terribly. I think of Dub-Dub and Sophie, who will greet Lynx at the kitty entrance to the Bridge.
By way of eulogy, I'd like to share a poem which my now grown son wrote about Lynx when both Lynx and my son were youngsters. My son was in the fifth grade when he wrote this--so that would mean Billy was about 10.

Lynx, the sphinx,
His litter box stinks.
He's lord of our household,
Or so he thinks.

Of birds he's the master,
To mice a disaster,
When he's on the prowl.
There's no cat that's faster.

With my kitten I am smitten--
Except when I am bitten.
To this cat I am attached--
Except when I am scratched.

Lynx, the sphinx,
His litter box stinks.
I love Lynx the cat
And all his hi-jinx.

Rest in peace, Lynx. And may the basset world light a candle in your honor. Val, Harley, and Bo (in memoriam for Lynx the cat)