[Dailydrool] My Doggies Hate Each Other

Dustin and Mary Bragg bragg2some at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 07:46:23 PST 2009

Two years ago, my husband and I got a male bassett, two and 1/2 years old.  About 55 lbs, sweet dog, no problems.  He was ok with other dogs, some he tangled with, but did beautifully with my parents' Brittany Spaniel, so we thought he would be ok if we got another dog.

In July we fostered a girl bassett, 30 lbs, about a year old.  They had their scuffles every now and again, but nothing to serious.  No one was hurt, and I think it was more of my male dog trying to be alpha.  I had asked for advice on the drool as to whether to separate them or let them duke it out, and got lots of responses.  The situation pretty much worked itself out because the dogs also got along very well.  They played well together, wresteled, played tug-o-war with a sock, romped in the back yard, etc...typcial dogs.  So we adopted the girl basset.

Last month my mother-in-law had unexpected surgery, and my husband and I traveled to be with her.  We had to board the dogs (which I didn't want to do, but we had no choice).  We boarded them in the same  5x6 "cage" for 3 nights (we boarded them together out of financial necessity...the surgery and the trip were unexpected and we were not prepared for it).  Ever since then, they hate each other.  They won't play.  There is constant growling, snarling, and fighting.  They used to sleep on the bed with my husband and me, but now they fight and we have to separate them.  We called the rescue about it, and they educated us that boarding them together was a BAD move, but that they would eventually work things out and re-establish their boundaries.  It has now been a month, and it is getting progressively worse.  We have tried everything from separating them when one growls and giving a firm "NO!", spray bottles, time outs, you name it.  It has
 reached the point now that my girl bassett is getting hurt.  He has bitten her several times and made her bleed, mainly on the ears and face.

I desperatley want to keep my girl, and have sobbed buckets of tears thinking about having to give her back.  But I can't keep submitting her to attacks for my selfish reasons.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!

Mary Bragg