[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore was naughty yesterday

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 08:13:23 PST 2009

Yesterday I heard a bang in the bedroom and went to investigate,
thinking I'd find that a bird had flown into the window. I got there
in time to see our Elsinore backing out of the narrow space between
the bed and a tall chest of drawers. The bang I'd heard was a thick
hardback book falling off a box by the nightstand. The book had been
chewed at the top of its spine, a condition I was pretty sure it
hadn't been in that morning.

Of course I looked around for young Charlie, whose day isn't complete
unless he's accomplished at least one naughty act that usually
involves destroying something. But Charlie was on a bed in the living
room. I felt the book, and the chewed part was quite damp. In
disbelief I asked Elsinore if she'd done that damage. To my surprise,
her tail went down, her ears went back, and she refused to meet my
eyes, all the while hurrying to get out of the small space we were
in. It sure looked like a confession of guilt to me.

I followed her out of the room, holding the book where she could see
it and asking her as she crept further and further away from me in a
half-grovel crouch, Did *you* do this? I can't believe it! *Why*
would you *do* such a thing? Whatever *possessed* you to chew up a
*book*? You've *never* done this sort of thing before! *This* is what
I expect from *Charlie*, not from *you*! *What* were you *thinking*?
I'm *so* disappointed in you! *How* could you *do* something like this?!

Either Elsinore doesn't care for high-pitched accusations in which
random words are stressed with audible asterisks at even higher
pitches, or she was truly ashamed of what she'd done, because she
sought to escape me by disappearing through the dog door. Charlie
wisely stayed put on the dog bed in the living room.

A few minutes later, Elsinore reappeared in the house, but I still
had the book in my hand and I wasn't done. I couldn't believe she'd
actually chewed something up. We've had her for almost five years
now, and in that time she hasn't destroyed anything, nothing at all.
She hasn't even shown any interest in tearing up anything other than
wrapping paper on Christmas Day, which is a group activity and not a
covert solitary act. She's always shown perfect respect for and even
disinterest in our belongings. To have willfully chewed the spine of
a book is so out of character for her that I simply couldn't get my
head around the idea that our Elsinore had behaved like that.

Then I realized it was a book my father, dead ten years now but still
missed every day, had given Ken. Boswell's London Journal, a book my
father had enjoyed for many years before his death. How *could* she?
It was so beyond my imagination that I returned to following Elsinore
around the house, shaking the book in her direction and expressing my
disbelief and disappointment in her for what she'd done. She escaped
through the dog door again and sat at the far end of the backyard, in
the cold, for a very long time. I hoped she was eating worms. A lot
of worms.

Eventually, Elsinore came back into the house and found me in my
office. She rolled over on her back on my feet, showing me her tummy
and carefully not looking at me. All right. Apology accepted.
Grudgingly. But I never thought there'd be a day when I'd have to put
up a puppy gate for Elsinore's benefit, and I told her so. She's
forgiven, but her inexplicable crime will be remembered.

Then Ken came home. Look what our Elsinore worked on today, I told
him with false cheer. His jaw dropped just as mine had when I first
saw the book, and the first words out of his mouth were, No! Not
Elsinore? Oh yes indeedy, I assured him, Elsinore. The fact that it
was Elsinore who was slinking apologetically around and around his
feet, and not Charlie, confirmed it. If Charlie had chewed up the
book and been scolded, he would have tossed his head and twinkled his
eyes cheekily at us as if to say, so what? Young Charlie never shows
remorse over the things he chews up. He's very sorry on the rare
occasions he's caught pooping or peeing in the house (he doesn't like
to go out in the rain), but he's never sorry for chewing on things.

We can't figure out why our Elsinore would do something so out of
character and completely out of the blue like this. I asked Ken if
there was any chance he'd left food or food wrappers in or around the
book, but he swears he didn't. She's never shown any vindictiveness,
so the fact that I took Charlie out for a walk yesterday and not her
couldn't have set her off. She chewed the book hours after I
returned, and it was a book she'd associate with Ken, not me, so
surely she would have chosen something of mine to chew if she were
angry with me. But she's always had an even-tempered and forgiving
nature that doesn't dwell on past hurts or the crimes of others.
Maybe there was something in the glue in the book's spine that
attracted her? She has been known to be rather weak when it comes to
finding a way to get and eat things she thinks smell good. I don't
suppose we'll ever know why she did it.

My mother says that someday my father's book will be rather like the
record album covers or glass Christmas tree ornaments my childhood
dog Penny chewed up during her fits of separation anxiety--we'll look
at that book and say with warm fondness and nostalgia, Ahhhhh, our
Elsinore did chewed on that, remember when she did it? Perhaps. But
that's not going to happen any time soon.

The book is still readable, but I don't think we'll ever be able to
look at Elsinore the same way again. Her sterling reputation in the
area of exemplary behavior has been severely tarnished. I just can't
believe she'd do something like that. What *ever* was she thinking?

Elizabeth