[Dailydrool] Veterans and red legs

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Mon Jan 12 09:34:46 PST 2009

Red area in the armpits (legpits??) and on the throat are often a kind of
skin fold dermatitis.  Most can be controlled with an application of
Gold Bond (or generic equivalent) once or twice a day..  If the red
spots get swollen and weepy, they may be hot spots, at which time a good
cleaning with betadine or even (I hear) the Blue Power Ear Treatment,
followed by a good packing of the Gold Bond can be very effective.
If the redness spreads to areas where there are not skin folds, such as
face, hocks, etc., then you may have an allergy to deal with.  You
can have patch tests done by the vet, or you may be able to figure it out
o n your own - when our Anna started getting red on her face and hocks in
addition to the armpits and throat, I "diagnosed" an
allergy.  Since she had been eating a corn based food, (as had all
the houndage for the past 35 years with nary a problem), I decided to
start by changing her to a corn free diet.  when I did, her redness
cleared right up.  We put her back on the old corn based food and the
irritation returned.  To me, that was diagnostic, and she is now
permanently on corn free and happy and healthy without spending megabucks
at the vet).

As to the veterans class, bassets must be at least
7 years of age to compete in veterans classes.  Spayed and neutered
hounds can compete in veterans at shows which have no further competition
beyond Best of Breed.  that means that when veterans classes are held
at an all-breed dog show, spayed and neutered dogs may not be shown.
But at an independent specialty show (basset only show), the veterans are
allowed to be spayed or neutered.

Drool to all in need.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR