[Dailydrool] breeders and exhibitors and english majors, oh my!!

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 21:38:45 PST 2009

*      Anyway I am doing my best to convince the boys that this is of no
consequence: that it is a pointless and possibly unintended attack. I have
pulled the dictionary out of the garbage and am going to make everyone
cheese hot dogs and a little wine and see if we can get past this small
glitch in life. If not...well.....what can I say?

Well, Nigel and Llewis,

As I re-read my own post, written (I say this in my own defense) before
coffee and in the midst of editing a 204 page bureaucratic document, I was
myself appalled at how poorly it read. Run-on sentences, sloppy use of
punctuation, and I'm sure there were dangling participles in there
someplace. I sentenced myself to immediately go re-read "Eats, Shoots and
Leaves", and perhaps the Chicago Style Manual as well....

Having lived in several different areas of the US, and having grown up
bi-lingual to boot, I appreciate dialect. I completely respect "Bassetese"
as representing dialect. This is why I placed "Standard" in parentheses. I
admire your transcriber's ability to capture Basset dialect in a consistent
voice, and when I do read Bassetese, it is often yours.

So I don't question your MomPerson's writing skills. Nor do I question your
own grasp of the complexities of "dese" and "dose" (having once lived in
Rhode Island, I have a certain appreciation of the difference myself....).
Finally, my statement was not intended as an attack. I am mortified that it
was taken that way and sincerely beg your forgiveness.

Sending cheese dogs and a bit of Jack Daniels with which to chase them....

Sylvie McGee

HeavenScent Bassets and

SPDR Basset Pack

spdrbassets at comcast.net