[Dailydrool] PETA, Humane Society of the US, etc

Noah Goslowah handsomehounds at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 08:57:42 PST 2009

I do belong to the Humane Society of the U.S. PETA, World Wildlife Fund, Sierra Club and a few other organizations that advocate for animal welfare and animal rights.

PETA is somewhat controversial, I'll admit.  I do admire their work getting large restaurant chains like McDonald's and Burger King to purchase meat and poultry that is humanely raised and slaughtered.  PETA also advocates for a vegetarian lifestyle, which I try to observe, although my dogs do not.  It is my opinion that if more people did not eat meat, poultry, or fish, the environmental impact on the earth would be huge.  Global warming would be lessened, people would be healthier, etc.

There has to be a way to limit the numbers of unwanted dogs we have in this country.  My city is building a spay/neuter clinic that will be free and available outside of normal business hours. I fully support this organization.

I wish more breeders would be active in rescue, like Sylvie.  I wish more breeders would be responsible in taking back dogs if there is an issue with the new owner. I wish my animal friends didn't have to suffer so much.

Animal rights advocates in the UK have made some progress in the inhumane practices of docking tails and ears of pure-bred boxers, for instance...

Janice

Janice Henry Colvin